My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Ruling Class (1972)

I am shocked that this film isn’t talked about more.  Peter O’Toole plays both Jesus and Jack the Ripper in the same movie.  This satirical film is hilarious as well as nasty.  I loved every minute.  Whether it be the musical numbers or O’Toole’s perfectly played flip from good to evil, it’s a devilish good time and still holds up as a great black comedy.   The story is of a paranoid schizophrenic named Jack who thinks he’s the son of god who becomes an Earl.  Hoping to pass the title onto a proper heir Jack’s uncle marries Jack off to his mistress, to get her pregnant, and then return his nephew back to the asylum.   Yet it seems Jack is cured instead, or that’s what it first appears.   Actually he now believes he’s the evil Jack the Ripper.   Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment