My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Elysium (2013)

Neill Blomkamp joins forces with Matt Damon to make a science fiction film about a poor, hard-working man on a deteriorated slum Earth needing to get to a rich-man’s paradise orbiting Earth to save his life.   It’s pretty obvious that this film is commenting on immigration against the poor.   Instead of using coyotes to cross a border they need spaceships to reach their goal.  While not as successful a film as District 9 (Blomkamp’s last film) it’s still an exciting story with many great action sequences.  Damon gives an intense portrayal as our flawed Everyman hero and both Sharlto Copley and Jodie Foster are wonderful scene-stealing villains.   Those expecting a film as ground breaking as District 9 might be disappointed but I still found this as excellent proof Blomkamp is a filmmaker to watch.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment