My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Sorrow and The Pity (1971)

If you like super long documentaries then here’s another one by Marcel Ophuls (who directed the Hotel Terminus).   This one is about the various French and Nazi associations during the German occupation of France.   It’s certainly an important testament of history and many scholars will eat it up.  I can’t say I loved it or hated it.  It’s mostly a series of interviews so this kind of talking-heads style of documentary might not be as inviting as many documentaries made today.   My rule of thumb with this is if the subject interested you than you should probably see it, especially to see how accommodating the Vichy Government was right from the get go.  Grade: B


No comments:

Post a Comment