My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Woodstock (1970)

I must admit I was not looking forward to this 225 minute documentary celebrating the Great Hippie concert of the ‘60s.   I should have known better.  Anything edited by the great Thelma Schoonmaker had to be skillfully pieced together and the result is a brilliant documentary that shed some light on a festival that in many ways was a complete failure.   If it weren’t for the amazing performances captured on film and the fact no one died, history would have written a different story about this disaster.  And I mean disaster literally because it was designated a “Disaster Area” while it was going on.  It was truly an once-in-a-lifetime event that celebrated free-spirits willing to endure anything for music, drugs and escape from an encroaching fast-paced world of rules and expectations.   Then there’s the music that isn’t always fantastic but when it is, it really is a blessing to be able to watch.   To think the camera can only capture a hint of the true magic that was going on.   When I was done I was so happy to be able to watch this experience in the comfort of my couch.   Could I have endured such a muddy, cold and wild spectacle?  No, and I doubt most in my generation could.  To be honest I wouldn’t have wanted to be there if I could.  Once you arrived you’re pretty much trapped.  Which is like the film, once you start you can’t stop watching, it’s a captivating experience that doesn’t feel that long at all.   Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment