My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, August 5, 2013

Veronika Voss (1982)

The BRD trilogy from Fassbinder started with The Marriage of Maria Braun and continues with this unrelated story of an actress named Sybille and her love affair with a journalist named Robert.   Sybille is the “crazy” actress character and you can see Billy Wilder’s Norma Desmond influence.   But Sybille’s problem isn’t that she’s starving for fame it’s that she’s hooked on drugs given to her by controlling doctor conning her into taking her fortune.  Shot in black and white (much like Sunset Boulevard) and very much like a film noir, I loved this film a bit more than the first.  It’s one of Fassbinder’s more enjoyable works with a less staggering feel to it.  If I were going to introduce someone to Fassbinder’s work this one along with Ali: Fear Eats the Soul would be my two recommendations.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment