My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Only God Forgives (2013)

The directing and acting duo of Nicolas Winding Refn and Ryan Gosling re-team to give us a film so violent that audiences at Cannes booed.   This slow burning drama (thriller?) builds and seems to go nowhere but the build is very fascinating if a bit odd to behold.   It’s a revenge film but which character in the story is going to find their justice?   Gosling plays a drug smuggler who co-runs a kickboxing gym to hide his drug trade.  His partner and brother brutally rapes and kills an underage hooker only to suffer a beating to the death himself from the girl’s father.   The brothers’ mother, played with cold fury by Kristen Scott Thomas, arrives wanting the police officer in charge of letting her son get murdered be killed too.  Let’s just say the Thai police officer, played by Vithaya Pansringarm, is the kind of badass you don’t mess with.   There’s a lot to praise about this movie and a lot to criticize.   Pansringarm and Thomas are brilliant.  The scenes where Pansringarm performs karaoke have such an eerie quality it’s intoxicating.   This fight scene is the best moment of the film.  As for Thomas, I’d add her on the list of the best evil mothers in cinema for certain; she is ruthless even if she is out of her element.   Gosling on the other hand is weak.  His character is boring to watch, a very distant performance that could have been so much more interesting.   This is disappointing because I respect him as an actor and I can see what he might have been trying to create but the result feels lazy, almost as if he didn’t care.   With the ending of the film, all I can say is that it left me wanting more.  It’s the same feeling I had with Refn’s last film, Drive.   Just when I expect the film to jump into overdrive, it ends.  This isn’t really a spoiler but a warning not to expect a typical climax.  I respect this film for taking chances and its dedication to director Jodorowsky but I think it could have been so much better.  Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment