My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Lola (1981)

The final film of the BRD trilogy (although it was released second) is centered around a singer/ prostitute and a building commissioner set on getting rid of corruption by running a by-the-numbers organization.   Of course in the era after WWII Germany was built on corruption, survived by it perhaps and the tables will turn when the two fall into a love affair.  Barbara Sukowa plays the title role and her performance is a knock-out.   Of the three films of this trilogy this is probably my least favorite but I still enjoyed it.   The ending has a great twist and will keep you wondering about the motivations of all involved.   It’s sad that Fassbinder ended up dying at such a young age, I really think he was finally onto something universal, finding his stride while at the same time producing work just as creative.   It’s amazing all the work he was able to create in such a short time but it’s fun to imagine what kind of work he would have produced twenty years further.   Imagine what kind of renaissance he would have had in the ‘90s when independent film productions were king.   Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment