My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Life is Sweet (1991)

Here’s another blending of wacky sad characters from the mind of Mike Leigh.  I’m tempted to call this a comedy since the people in it are so wild and out there (and there’s some really hilarious moments) but it’s more of a melancholic family drama.   Husband and wife, Andy and Wendy have two twin daughters, Natalie and Nicola.   Andy is a chief looking to start a food truck business and Wendy helps out a friend waitress a new restaurant (that’s pretty much doomed to fail).   Then there’s the raging Nicola dealing with bulimia and her sister the plumper trying to help her open up to her family.   The result is a phenomenal exercise of multiple narrative storytelling with brilliant over-the-top character work from all the actors involved.   Grade: B+ 

No comments:

Post a Comment