My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Alexander Nevsky (1939)

Funny enough, the youTube version of this online for free has better sound and video than the DVD I received from Netflix.   Thank god because I don’t know if I could have sat through this historical epic with scratchy music and dulled almost blurry images.  This is disappointing because this film deserves a great transfer.   I really hope someone out there has a mint-condition print of this Sergei Eisentein masterpiece because it deserves the attention of anyone who likes going back in time and watching early works of cinema.   This call-to-arms film was just the kind of film to motivate the Soviets during WWII against the Nazis.  There the invaders are not the Nazis but the Teutonic knights.   Their siege of the city of Pskov is one of the most violent sequences I’ve seen from a film made during that time (at least that I can remember as I write this).   It’s shocking and hard to watch.  Then there’s our hero the Russian king Nevsky leading his army into battle in a sequence so ahead of its time you almost feel like you’re watching something shot today in black and white.   Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment