My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Viva Zapata! (1952)

If you love westerns, especially those with a modern sensibility, then you must checkout this Robert Aldrich directed film.  Burt Lancaster is the veteran tracker hired by government soldiers to hunt after a dangerous Apache outlaw violently killing settlers and stealing horses.   Leading the hunting party is a naïve and young Lieutenant who believes he can succeed because they have the moral center to win.   I didn’t think of it as I was watching it but you really can sense the influence the Vietnam War had on this film.  And like all conflicts of this nature, it always ends badly for both sides.   That’s what I loved about this film; it doesn’t romanticize the West but presents a great truth without preaching.   Ulzana is a bad guy but so are the solders hunting him, for they represent the original raiders of the Native American land.   This really is a brilliant movie and it’s annoying it’s not more celebrated by the masses.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment