My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Death in Venice (1971)

Italian director Luchino Visconti brings Thomas Mann’s short novel to screen in a beautiful radiant way.  This is Visconti’s most gorgeous looking film, proof he was as great a director as most critics claimed.  I was in doubt, especially after seeing The Damned (1969).  But this one sealed the deal for me.  Gustav vacations in Venice.  While staying in a hotel he becomes infatuated by a young teenage boy staying there with his mother.  It’s as intense a crush as any I’ve seen in film.  Soon Venice falls under a cholera outbreak but even though he was planning to leave, he can’t resist staying so he might connect with the young teenager.  Using Gustav Mahler for his score to seduce us into the main character’s passion, Luchino succeeds in doing what most films fail to do and that’s recreate a novel’s inner spirit without feeling like you’re reading a book.   My only complaint is that it does run a bit long at 130 minutes.   I wonder if it could have been edited a bit tighter.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment