My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Harlan County, USA (1976)

For those who don’t understand the reason we have unions, watch this documentary which won an Oscar in 1976.  It puts the viewer right on the front lines of a strike between miners and the Coal Company (owned by Duke Power) in Kentucky.    Barbara Kopple directed the film while living with the strikers and you really get a sense of these people and their struggles.  Whether its black lung or the tactics to bring in scabs, the Coal Company is the villain in this historical document and I feel it’s an accurate portrayal.   Grade:  A

No comments:

Post a Comment