My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Romeo and Juliet (1936)

George Cukor directs Leslie Howard and Norma Shearer in an adaptation of William Shakespeare’s most famous love story.  First off, it’s hard to ignore that the principle actors are way too old to be playing young lovers.   Both Howard and Shearer are excellent but it’s a bit annoying seeing adults pretend to know nothing of sex.   While a fine example of early adaptations of Shakespeare, it’s really not worth seeing unless you like the nostalgia of films made in the ‘30s.   I’d suggest watching Zeffirelli’s version made in 1968 first if you’ve never experienced this legendary tragedy.  Grade: B


No comments:

Post a Comment