My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, July 15, 2013

Pacific Rim (2013)

What's the definition of a Summer movie?  How about giant robots battling giant monsters from the deep?   Oh yeah, that's what director Guilliano Del Tirro gifted us this July and it's been a while since I remember having this much fun in the theater.   I sat there giddy with geekiness as a simple but well-crafted plot took shape.   Like the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion and classic Japanese Godzilla movies, we have it all.  Cliches are tweaked.  The cast is international and the awesomeness is complete.  It's frustrating when such a blast of a good time loses the box office to Adam Sandler but I'm not surprised with today's audiences.  Hopefully this will pull enough of a following to grant us a sequel.  I want to see what Del Tirro has up his sleeves a second time around. Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment