My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Les Miserables (1935)

Victor Hugo’s massive novel is brought to life in this Darryl F. Zanuck production starring Charles Laughton as Inspector Javert and Fredric March as Jean Valjean.   Ignoring the musical being that it’s a different kind of adaptation, this is probably the best film version of the story to date.  Yes, the writers made changes but as a work of cinema it’s very well made.  I especially liked Charles Laughton’s performance which is how I plan to visualize the character when I someday tackle the reading of Hugo’s masterpiece.   Director Richard Boleslawski had a short Hollywood career, dying too young at forty-eight; this is probably his most known work.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment