My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, July 29, 2013

The Magic Flute (1975)

If you’re going to film a stage version of Mozart’s famous opera, you can’t really fail with a director like Ingmar Bergman at the helm.   He sets the mood by taking you into the audience as the overture plays, showing the faces of all ages, as if to say this is for everyone to enjoy, come with me.  Then you get to experience the magic of a fairy tale set to music by a genius.   I’ve never seen this opera before and knew nothing of the tale it’s based on but I did enjoy it.   I would recommend this for anyone who enjoys theater and especially opera.  Of course I’m not a huge fan of opera and I liked it so maybe you just need to be opened to older styles of entertainment.   Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment