My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Last Metro (1980)

Truffaut makes one of his best films, taking us to a theater during the French occupation of WWII. Catherine Deneuve plays an actress who runs the theater after her husband fled the country, or so it is believed.  Actually her husband played by Heinz Bennent lives in the basement, writing and directing from behind the scenes.   Enter Gerard Depardieu, an actor who just joins their newest production where he plays opposite Deneuve.   Soon a love triangle of sorts unfolds and the dramatic rewards are tremendous.   I love this film.  It was like a better version of To Be or Not to be (1942).  I can’t help but wonder if this was this film that inspired Mel Brooks to remake the classic Ernst Lubitsch film.  It makes me sad that Truffaut would only go on to direct two more films.   At least we have films such as this one to inspire many future generations to come.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment