My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, July 5, 2013

Tristana (1970)

I’m a huge Luis Bunel fan and have been waiting years to finally get a chance to see this adaption of Benito Perez Galdos’ novel.  It’s the story of a respected gentleman who falls in love with his adopted daughter.   This father/daughter relationship is so bizarre and humorous under Bunel’s wonderful skills that you find yourself rooting for it in a weird way; it’s almost not shocking because it’s what you expect from this master storyteller of the surreal.  Fernando Rey who plays Don Lope is so matter-of-fact you take for granted that he’s a despicable person.  Then there’s Catherine Deneuve who gives one of her most strange and best performances.   You know she hates Don Lope but there’s some part of her who will always see him as her father.  If you like any of Bunel’s work you’ll recognize this signature moments spread about the narrative.   Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment