My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012)

Rarely does an author get a chance to write and direct the movie of his own book.   The reason why is because it rarely turns out any good.  Stephen Chbosky just proved that assumption wrong.    This is a wonderful coming-of-age movie that surprises on so many levels.   Charlie is a shy and emotionally troubled teen who becomes fast friends with two older high school teens, Sam (atha) and Patrick.  They introduce Charlie to their friends and before our eyes Charlie opens up, falling in love with Sam and confronting a dark secret that he needs to confront if he’s ever to truly mature.   I’ve always felt a good book adaptation will make you want to read the book and this is certainly the case.   Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment