My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Of Mice and Men (1939)

John Steinbeck’s famous novel about drifters looking for work during the Great Depression, the smart one named George and his mentally challenged friend named Lennie, was first adapted in 1939 by Lewis Milestone.   Burgess Meredith is a sensation as George and Lon Chaney Jr. gives his best performance as Lennie.  The two have great chemistry and that just makes this tragic fable that much more memorable.   I don’t know why this film feels so genuine.   Maybe it’s because it was made so soon from when the book was published and the black and white imagery harmonizes with the story’s themes.   All I know is that this is a wonderful sad movie worth watching, especially if you’re a fan of the book.   Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment