My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Summertime (1955)

I consider this David Lean’s Venice Travel film.   Beautiful color cinematography captures the city in all its 1950s splendor.   I can imagine millions of Americans dreaming of taking their vacation to Venice after seeing this film.  Katherine Hepburn is on holiday, an unmarried woman on vacation who falls under the spell of a suave Italian shop keeper.  It’s a struggle for an independent woman to find herself in and I can see why such a role would have attracted an actress like Hepburn.   This was the ‘50s version of Eat, Pray, Love.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment