My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, July 7, 2013

The Awakening (2012)

This is one of those classic-style ghost stories like The Others or Woman In Black.   It has what you would expect and desire from such a tale: an eerie setting (a school), a creepy ghost child with a blurry face and a tangled mystery.  Rebecca Hall plays a respected educated woman who proves ghosts are hoaxes.  She's written a book on the truth about ghosts and yet a part of her would like to believe.  She's invited by a school teacher to investigate a ghost at the school he teaches.  Her job is simply to prove the ghost is actually one of the boys playing a practical joke, a joke that had gone horrible wrong after a student died recently.  What turns out to be a simple investigation soon becomes a dark journey into her own heart.   Less a scary film and more an artistic period drama, it's certainly one of the better classic ghost stories put to film in awhile.   I really enjoyed seeing the mystery unravel and while a bit of a stretch it's quite satisfying.  Grade: B+

Spoiler Alert:  This has one of those "open to interruption" endings that is supposed to get the audience talking afterward.  It's not at all as successful as Nolan's Inception but I didn't hate it.  Still I kind of wish the film makers would have just let us know if she's a ghost at the end or not.  I think she's alive but leaving it open kind of tainted the end.   I hope a lady-and-the-tiger syndrome doesn't become the next big trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment