My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, July 19, 2013

Playtime (1967)

Jacques Tati was a genius.   A visual master at creating humor by showing us the world in all its quirky silliness.   Very subtle but razor sharp wit, this guy’s work should be watched by everyone.  His fourth film was his most ambitious project yet.  He practically built a city block to make this movie and I’m glad he did because I don’t know how else he could have shot it.   Here he comments on the modern world and how it disconnects us and makes us robots.  I wonder what Tati would have thought of our world today with Facebook and iphones?   He certainly believed in keeping life simple and provincial as seen in his earlier films, especially Mon Oncle.   Just understand this isn’t laugh-out-loud humor, it’s humor with a grin of joy.   No one today comes close to making movies as smart and sly as Tati did.   I doubt any one ever will.   Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment