My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, May 27, 2013

This Is 40 (2012)

Judd Apatow and clan (wife, Leslie Mann and his children) along with Paul Rudd bring us a sort of spin-off to Knocked Up where we follow the mid-life crisis' of a husband and wife turning forty.  I really had low expectations and felt like this would be a rambling mess.  The first fifteen minutes set me up to believe I was going to be right.  Surprise!  This is actually a fantastic comedy.   It's funny when it needs to be funny and engaging with real meaning when it turns serious.   Leslie Mann and Paul Rudd have great chemistry and I don't know if there has been a married couple on screen more likable than this one.  Albert Brooks, Jason Siegel, Melissa McCarthy and Chris O'Dowd pop up as hilarious side characters all of which enhance the film.  Even Megan Fox turn in a funny performance.   Here's hoping for a This is 50.  I'd love to see visit this family again.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment