My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, May 24, 2013

Hemlock Grove (Season 1)

To be blunt this Netflix original horror series is garbage.  Basically it's a teenage murder mystery with the character archetypes of Wolf man, Dracula and Frankenstein mashed up in a world ruled by an evil crazy queen/mother.  Sure it has probably the best werewolf transformation I've ever seen (end of episode 2) and the Frankenstein-inspired character Shelly Godfred is outstanding on so many levels, you wish the show was only about her most of the time.  I'm not sure if the acting is bad or if the actors are struggling with awful dialogue.  I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.  Friends of mine recommended this one and at first I saw a lot of promise.  The pacing was a bit off but not in a bad way (or so I thought at first).  The second episode isn't much better but it ends on a high note (see above).  Then nothing really happens for nine episodes.   Nine episodes of meandering about to prepare for a climax in the last two episodes in which I was completely let down.  And it's not just that nothing happens, it becomes increasingly clear the more you watch this show the more you hate everyone in it.  There really is only one redeeming character and that's Peter, but not because he actually does anything, he's so passive it's hard to care about him.  I could go on and on about how terrible this show is, how Brian McGreevy should have just developed this with Eli Roth as a movie, that way he could cut out all the unnecessary stuff in the middle, but instead I'm going to stop here.  Just do me a favor and skip this embarrassing, could have been great show.  Grade: C-

No comments:

Post a Comment