My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Boardwalk Empire (Season 2)

This show is so ambitious and complex that I feel annoyed at myself that I'm not as excited by it as with other shows.  The writing is brilliant and the acting is on par with the best of film and television; why do I feel I only watch it because I should instead of because it's great storytelling?  It doesn't help that the main character Nucky Thompson played by Steve Buscemi is so erratic.  One episode you like him and the next he's so unlikeable.  This can be said about Margaret Schroeder played by Kelly MacDonald too.  I love her character a lot but I found her character quite frustrating this go around.  The big plot of this second season is to see how Nicky Thompson survives a trial and gains back all the power he was set up to lose at the end of season one.  Jimmy Darmody is rising up in the crime world with his father, the Commodore, helping to pull the strings.  I absolutely despise the Irish up-and-comer Owen Sleater played by Charlie Cox and hope he dies in the next season.   This season wasn't really as good as the first one but like I stated before I'll keep watching, hoping for an improvement.   Please writers, it's okay to make Nucky and Margaret bad people just make them the kind of characters I want to root for.  Perhaps Terence Winter can call up Vince Gilligan and ask what he'd do.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment