My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Love in the Afternoon (1957)

I usually don't care for films where older men fall in love with younger women but in the hands of Billy Wilder it somehow works.   It helps that the man is Gary Cooper, the kind of handsome movie star you could believe a young woman, even the delightful Audrey Hepburn, would fall for.  Certainly not a masterpiece like other Wilder films, this story of an American in Paris being courted by a younger French cellist is a fine example of a romantic comedy.  I really enjoyed the physical comedy bit with the passing a tray on wheels back and forth from one room to the next and the list of imaginary boyfriends Audrey uses to make Cooper jealous.  Hepburn's father is played wonderfully by the legendary French singer and actor Maurice Chevalier.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment