My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Divorce Italian Style (1961)

If the title of this movie was a question the answer would be murder.  Ferdinando Cefalù played by Marcello Mastroianni (in probably my favorite role I've seen him in) is in love with his cousin.  Besides the fact that she's his cousin and so much younger than he is, there's his wife standing in his way.  Except as a good Catholic he can't just leave her, he must find a way to kill her so he can move on to the innocent young virgin of his dreams.  It sounds like the idea of a thriller but with a script written by Alfredo Giannetti, Ennio De Concini, Pietro Germi, and Agenore Incrocci and directed by Peitro Germi a devilish comedy is born.  I loved this film.  It's a constant dark little story with Marcello brilliant showing off his comedic chops.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment