My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, May 13, 2013

Suddenly, Last Summer (1959)

Mankiewicz directs Tennessee Williams' story about a woman in a crisis and the doctor who must help her recover her memories to save her from a lobotomy .  Elizabeth Taylor is the crazy woman and Montgomery Clift is her hero/ doctor.  The villain in the story is played by Katherine Hepburn, the girl's mother in law who wants her operated on to protect a secret about her dead son.   If not for the writing this one would be dud for me.  And when you finally decode the "secret" that so sends Taylor's character into despair it's hard to believe.   Of course this was the '50s so maybe it's not so hard to believe after all   Grade: B-       

No comments:

Post a Comment