My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Flamingo Kid (1984)

This coming of age film set in 1963 focuses on Jeffrey Willis (played by Matt Dillon), a young teenager who gets a job working at a Long Island Beach Resort.  Impressed by all the rich vacationers, especially a car salesman named Mr. Brody who takes him under his wing, Jeffrey distances himself from his more humble father.  This is Gary Marshall's first success in film after years of success on television.  If you look at Mr. Marshall's filmography, he really hasn't done anything that great.  This might be his best film.  Besides some obvious cliches, it's an entertaining film with a strong lead role for Matt Dillon.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment