My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, May 10, 2013

Hair (1979)

Hippies and more Hippies, dancing and singing and protesting the Vietnam war.  Who would have thought this one would be so entertaining?   I really didn't think something so dated and corny could hold up.  Maybe it's because Milos Foreman directs or because the Broadway musical it's based on by James Rado , Gerome Ragni and Galt MacDermot still hits a truth.  I don't know why but I fell under its tie-dye colored spell.  Treat Williams steals the show as the ring-leader of a group of hippies who befriend a confused John Savage, a farm boy about to join up for the Army.  It's not for everyone with its free love, anti-war and anti-establishment themes.  Still if you enjoy musicals and you want a taste of what the sixties and early seventies was like, sit back and just go with it.  I did and I'm glad I did.  Grade: B+   

No comments:

Post a Comment