My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

My Night At Maude's (1969)

This is the fourth film in Eric Rohmer's Six Moral Tales series and he really excels with this one.  Like all of the films in this series it's about a man torn between two women, the one he's supposed to be with and the one he covets.  This one deals with a devout man named Jean Louis who through a friend meets Maud, a divorcee and free spirit.  He obviously finds her attractive and is tempted to toss his morals away to be with her, except he's in love with another women he met as well, one more suited to him.  Yet you get the feeling he wishes he was capable of being with Maud more, the kind of woman that would open him up and help show him a more unexpected side of himself.   Françoise Fabian who plays Maud is perfect, she's sexy and mysterious without being over the top.   I really loved this film and think it's Mr. Rohmer's best so far.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment