My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Passage to India (1984)

For David Lean's last film he picked E.M. Forrester's classic novel that takes place in India.  Like many of his films, this one is grand in scope and shot with perfect cinematography.   Judy Davis plays Adele, a young British woman who travels with her fiance's mother, Mrs. Moore (perfectly portrayed by Peggy Ashcroft) to India for a great adventure.  The film can be divided into two parts:  the first being an introduction to India through two open-minded white women and then the second part which is a mystery that ends in a courtroom.   The first part is colorful and full of pleasantries and then Adele accuses an Indian doctor who was her guide of raping her.  Did he or didn't he isn't really the point but how the world reacts.  I liked his film very much but wouldn't call it Lean's best work.  It's biggest flaw might be the casting of Alec Guiness as an Indian.   Alec's performance is fantastic and only an actor of his statue could pull off such a feat unfortunately it's just not acceptable and dates the film.   If you like period films you'll like this one.   It's a long one but I wouldn't say too long.  It's too bad Mr. Lean waited so long to make a movie but I'm glad he was able to make this one before leaving us.

No comments:

Post a Comment