My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, May 27, 2011

Thor (2011)

When I heard they were making a movie out of the Marvel Superhero Thor, my first thought was cool.  Then when I realized that they would be setting this up for the big Avengers movie coming out next year I became worried.   Instead of being a movie about Thor I feared it would be a movie about an Avenger.   Well, my worries were put to rest because Kenneth Branagh delivers a movie that would make any Norse God happy.  Chris Hemsworth is perfect as Thor, even with the beard, and Anthony Hopkins is sensational, as expected, as his father Odin.  Not to say the movie is flawless.  It's an enjoyable film but it does have a couple weak points that could have hurt the film but thankfully don't. 

Spoilers: The first is the love story.  Natalie Portman's presence alone helps but the film's hurried pace in the middle doesn't allow for their relationship to blossom.  I know the producers want their movies cut to be under two hours but just one more scene between them would have helped show that they were falling for each other (of course, I'm sure there were a lot of teenager boys who hated that a love story was in there at all but alas I'm a hopeless romantic so I loved it).   The other problem is that they don't really spend much time showing Thor's transformation from arrogant prick to selfless hero.  It makes me almost wish they'd produce a TV show where you see a hammer-less Thor trapped on Earth learning how to be worthy to lift the Hammer again.  But I realize that's silly.  The filmmakers expect the audience to accept that Thor is a new man in the passing of five minutes.  They barely pull it off.  This is what summer movies are supposed to be about and that's fun.  Now I'm excited for Captain America and see the last piece to the Avenger puzzle.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment