My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Why I Don't Watch Trailers (Commentary)

If you ever go to the movies and see a guy with his eyes closed during the trailers, that guy is probably me.  Okay, I'm sure I'm not the only one out there but I've come to loath the trailers before films.   Which is ironic because when I was a kid I loved the previews (as I still call them).   Now with the Internet though I can learn what's being made as it's being made.   Trailers are unnecessary for me; I love movies and if there's any promising aspect to a film I'll be there.   But that's not the main reason I hate trailers.   They give away too much.   The editors who cut these trailers have zero interest in servicing the storytellers who crafted the film, they're only job is to sell tickets.  If giving a twist in the plot gets people in their seat, then show it, it doesn't matter.  Worse, they give you a glimpse of every visual stunning moment of the movie.   I sometimes watch the trailers for films after I see the movie and I'm in shock.  But they do it because a stunning visual will get people to see it as an empty promise that there's "more where that came from"; never mind that they're lying.  Avatar is like this.  The official trailer shows sequences of the final battle; we even see that Jake is going to learn to fly.  What happened to the art of subtly?  I guess one could argue that today's audiences need the extra motivation; and maybe such an argument is right.  All I know is I've been burned before and I'm not getting burned again:  Examples (spoiler alert):  In the trailer for What Lies Beneath (the Zemekis 2000 thriller) they tell you that Harrison Ford is the bad guy.   When I was watching the film I realized that the audience isn't supposed to think that until later.   Why would they edit that trailer like that?   You're telling me that it's that hard to get people to go see a movie starring "Harrison Ford" that you have to tell them that he's playing the bad guy?   In the trailer for Paranormal Activity they show the ending.  I couldn't believe it!  Why would you show that one of the main characters is going to be thrown at the camera like that, especially when it's the high point of the film?  Do I need to go on?   Not that this practice is new, I realize that.  I've watched trailers for older films on DVD and have been shocked by what they showed back then.  It doesn't matter the decade.   I guess when I was a kid, storytelling was new and I wasn't smart enough to figure out the story.  Today though I've watched enough movies that I sometimes figure out the whole film with very little information.   I'll joke to my wife or friend, "Hey, we got to see another film for free."    So here's my rule of thumb:  if it's a movie I know I want to see and that I'm exited for (like Harry Potter 7, Green Lantern or Cowboys and Aliens) I close my eyes and zone out.  If it's a movie I'm curious about I'll watch the first thirty seconds or so (I can sense when they're going too far) and I then look away.   Of course if it's a movie I don't want to see I check it out (pretty much anything directed by Michael Bay).   Am I the only one out there like this?   Are there any other times when a trailer gave too much away and actually spoiled your enjoyment of a movie?    Perhaps I'm just weird.   

No comments:

Post a Comment