My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, May 16, 2011

If . . . . (1969)

Oh those British rebels of the 1960s.   Here Malcolm McDowell plays Michael "Nick" Travis, teenager living life in the English public school system.   Sometimes the film is black and white and kind of surreal but mostly its shot in a very dull color that's naturalistic and appropriate for the film.  Why it switches from color to black and white is debatable.   Dated in a good way, this film is a great example of systems of tradition and rules and conformity sometimes creating they very opposition they thwart.   Grade: B

Spoiler:  The end was haunting.  All I could think about was Columbine and other school shootings.  A film like this couldn't be made today.  What was purely fantastic in the '60s has now become a tragic reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment