My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Shaft (1971)

A film more famous for its Oscar winning score than it's story, I've been wanting to see this for some time.  I've been wanting to see how much of a "man" Mr. Shaft is.  Oh, he's the man alright.   There's no denying it.  Richard Roundtree brings the street-smart, no-nonsense private dick to life, keeping him charming as he pumps up the badass concept up a few degrees.  He might work for the "white cops" but he never let's the "man" bring him down, he's above the system but a good guy.  Hired to find a crime lord's kidnapped girl he plays the criminals as well as the cops however he must to get the job done, all while sleeping with any girl he wants to.  The dated quality of the film, in this case, works in its favor, giving it a raw edge.   And as for the score, by Isaac Hayes, it's a perfect blend of cinematic scope and jive-hopping funk to work.  I'm new to the blaxploitation scene but I'll certainly be checking more out.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment