My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Easy A (2010)

Emma Stone becomes a star in this latest classic book or play turned into a high school comedy incarnation, the classic book being Nathanial Hawthorne's The Scarlett Letter.  At least the screenwriter admits it upfront by making it part of the story, which I felt was refreshing.   But let's get back to Emma Stone, whose always been a solid performer, but it's here where her charisma and comic talents come into fruition.   Not that she's the only good thing about this film, she's the highlight but there are a lot of praise to spread around.   Patricia Clarkson and Stanley Tucci almost steal the show as the coolest parents to ever be set to film and even Amanda Bynes pulls off a solid performance as an overly-religious bitch.  In many ways this film is a tribute to teen '80s movies without feeling like a '8os film.  Certainly check this one out.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment