My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Killers (1946)

The first adaptation of Hemingway's famous short story, in what is more of an extension of the main story, we follow an insurance investigator through an elaborate film noir world to explain why anyone would want to kill the Swede (played memorably by Burt Lancaster, a gas station attendant who passively allows two killers end his life without a fight, without even trying to flee when told they are coming to kill him.  The opening scene straight from the short story is as exciting and intense as a Quentin Taratino film and then it becomes the more typical detective story later on.  This was later re-adapted in the '60s with Lee Marvin.  (A film I will have to see and write about at a later date).   Having read the short story I found it pretty clever how the writers expanded on the story.  I would recommend this film for anyone who likes film noir and wants to see some solid storytelling.  Sure the best part of the film is its beginning but the rest is pretty slick too.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment