My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Way Back (2010)

Peter Weir's latest film follows a group of men from a Gulag to the Himalayas in what could have been a boring film about walking, but instead it's a inspired and heart-wrenching film about walking; okay and also survival and hope and all the qualities that make us human.   What's not to love?  Great visuals, solid acting, historical plausibility and many surprises along the way.  Ed Harris is great as usual and Jim Sturgess holds his own with his best performance to date.  Why this film came and went from the theaters baffles me.  It's Peter Weir, the kind of director that everyone should know and should come out in droves to see, but maybe he'd not like that.  I expect this film will find an audience on DVD and will become one of those forgotten classics someday.  If you like films about survival and people going up against impossible odds, see this film.   It's a wonderful movie.  Grade: A

One tip and complaint: for some reason the film makers put up a slate at the beginning of the movie that pretty much gives away the result of the adventure.  It doesn't ruin the movie but if you can fast-forward through this intro and get to the visuals, I'd do it.  The slate isn't necessary and think it was a mistake to put it there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment