My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Wise Blood (1979)

This adaptation of Flannery O'Connor's first novel, directed by John Huston, had me mostly uninterested.  Brad Dourif is a decent choice to play the disagreeable Hazel Motes, the ex-soldier who is mistaken as a preacher because of the getup he buys, who then goes on a baffling pursuit to preach his own "Church Without Christ" message, but he's kind of one-dimensional too.  Satirical and dark in tone, the screenwriters try to engage the funny-bone but for me at least they failed.   It's also not much of a commercial for the novel, for it made me want to avoid the novel like its poison.  Mostly it's a very uncinematic story that relies heavily on dialogue and kooky unlikeable characters.  I'd only recommend renting this if you're a huge O'Connor fan or you need to see everything that John Huson directed.  Grade: C+.

No comments:

Post a Comment