My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

You Only Live Once (1937)

Eddie, unforgettably played by Henry Fonda, is an ex-con gone straight because of his love for the woman who waited for him to get out of prison, played heroically by Sylvia Sidney.  But the system won't give Eddie a break.  He can't get work and when someone robs a bank everyone suspects he did it.  This is a real work of art directed brilliantly by Fritz Lang.  In such a short time you know that these two love each other in away that most people don't understand.  Their sacrifices for that love make for a true classic.  It might have been made in 1937 but it's still as engaging as any movie made today.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment