My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, May 13, 2011

Unstoppable (2010)

There's really no way anyone could get this simple but thrilling concept wrong.  I mean it's about a runaway train with dangerous explosives heading toward a populated city, and only two average-Joes can save the day.   It's predictable, as it should be, and it's fun as expected.  Denzel Washington is enjoyable as he usually is and newcomer Chris Pine proves he's more than just a younger Capt. Kirk.  Rosa Dawson is a nice surprise too.  If I wanted to I could go into nit-picky criticisms about obvious formulaic inventions such as the evil corporate guy and the weak love story for Chris Pine, manufactured purely to give more "depth" to the story, but I won't because at the end of the day it's a runaway train film and it works on so many levels.  Sure, it's about as memorable as yesterday's breakfast, it is what it's meant to be and that's a suspenseful ride.   

No comments:

Post a Comment