My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Strictly Ballroom (1992) - Revisited

In the mood for something funny and inspiring I re-watched Baz Luhrmann's first film, a romantic comedy about Australian competitive ballroom dancing.  Wow, it's not aged at all.  It's as fresh and funny as it was when I saw it in the theaters in the '90s.  Will Scott Hastings (Paul Mercurio) choose to dance his own steps at the Pan Pacific with secret partner Fran (Tara Morice), or will he conform to please his mother.   The corny high-energy performances may throw some viewers off but for me it's stylistically perfect.  Mr. Luhrmann's blends farce and romance seamlessly making for a perfect film for all hopeless romantics.  Grade: A.

No comments:

Post a Comment