My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, December 10, 2012

Twelve O'Clock High (1949)

Gregory Peck stars in this WWII drama about a General taking over from a burn out Captain of an Air Force base.  Much of the tension deals with the various personalities on base as they adjust to their new leader, a man determined to make important improvements.  Mr. Peck has such screen presence: it's impossible to dislike him and he makes this movie work.  Henry King directs and does a superb job.  This was certainly one of the top films of that year and I'd have rather of seen this win over All the King's Men which took the Oscar that year for Best Picture.  I only question the use of real war footage during the air battle sequences.  I see how it would save the production money but it seems a little disrespectful to the "real" airmen who died fighting for their lives.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment