My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Cleanflix (2011)

The idea that someone would edit another artists' film without their permission is so abhorrent to me, so insulting that I boil with rage.  Well, that's what various Utah based companies were doing (and probably still doing) to rated-R films to cater to a devote Mormon based clientele.  If someone wants to burn a copy of a film and "sanitize" it themselves for their own use, that would be fine.  But as soon as a third-party tries to profit from another artist's work, that's stealing and censorship all rolled into one.   It mind-boggles me that anyone wouldn't be able to comprehend this logic.  This documentary does a decent job chronicling the history of these censoring thieves while also trying to question Hollywood's refusal to release their own censored versions of their movies. (Maybe because the studios and said production companies simply don't want to undermine the artists they're employing, an answer this film conveniently avoids).  If I wish to follow a strict religious doctrine then I'll follow it without forcing others to bend to my beliefs.  Or watch I'll watch the god damn movie already and accept I'm not really as devote as I think I am.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment