My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, December 7, 2012

Silk Stockings (1957)

The musical remake of the classic Garbo romantic comedy Ninotchka staring Fred Astaire and the beautiful Cyd Charisse is a wonderful entertainment with many great songs by Cole Porter and dance sequences typical of the Golden Age of Musicals.  The story is about a movie producer named Burt hiring a Russian composer in Paris only to have to deal with a Russian Commissioner named Nina come to make sure her country's composer returns home.  The best moment of the film is when Cyd Charisse dances out of her Russian dress and into the more elegant French gown she yearns.  My favorite duet is between Astaire and Janis Paige who sing about film needing to be in Technicolor, Widescreen and use Stereophonic Sound.  While I'd recommend seeing Ninotchka first if you haven't seen it, this is a fun remake to check out.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment