My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Revenge (Season 1)

Let's be blunt.  This is not A-Class quality entertainment.  This night time soap opera is about as B- Class as television shows come, but that's not a bad thing.   If you're looking for a really fun guilty pleasure with twist and turns and over-the-top bad people saying over-the-top bad things then this show is for you.  Modeled loosely from The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas, it follows a young woman named Amanda Clark setting out to revenge the ruin of her family.   It has it all.  Love triangles, secrets identities, rich people acting like rich people and even a big conspiracy to heighten the absurd entertainment value of an addictive story.  I love seeing Madelaine Stowe in this show too, only someone of her caliber could say such vile things and still make us sympathize with her.  Emily Vancamp is also quite good as Amanda, playing a specterum of emotions that make us want to see her succeed without hurting herself.   I don't know what the producers of this show have planned for season 2 but I'm hooked.  Grade: B+     

No comments:

Post a Comment