My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Topaz (1969)

Watch Leonard Maltin's interview on this film's DVD featurette and you'd think this is Hitchcock's worst film. (Couldn't the producers of the DVD find a critic who actually liked the film?)  Yet it's actually an impressive work from a storyteller expanding his scope and trying something a little different.  In many ways this adaption of Leon Uris's book is a fine example of Hitchock at his best.  I love the fact that he cast the film without any big names and the overall European-feel of the film.  It's still very much a Hitchock film with many memorable scenes (such as a entire exchange of dialogue muted because the characters are in a sound proof flower fridge).   Its ending is a bit weak but regardless I would recommend this for anyone who enjoys '60s cinema.  Don't listen to the Maltin's of the world, this is a solid film.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment