My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Artist and Models (1955)

To my surprise, this is my first introduction to the comedy duo of Martin and Lewis.  They made 17 films together and I've not seen any of them.   How can that be?  I'll certainly have to check out more of their silly antics because I did enjoy this wacky farce.  Their formula is obvious: Jerry Lewis
bumbles around making goofy faces and talking like a crazy child-man while the handsome Dean Martin woos women with his crooner straight-man style.  The gags are more vaudeville numbers than plot driving devices but that's what helped make these guys huge stars.  For me it's Shirley MacLaine that shines the most, as the model in the Bat Lady suit who wants Jerry to marry her.  Director Frank Tashlin keeps the pace moving and adds just a hint of adult innuendo.  The big question: is this film still funny after all these years?  Some of it is still fresh but most of it feels forced and a little stale.  That's not the film's fault, really, it's all the situation comedies and films I've seen since that borrowed from oldies like these.  My favorite scene is watching Jerry Lewis to up and down various flights of stairs to relay a message to Dean.  It's really a classic moment for a classic dumb comedy.  Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment